Thursday, January 28, 2016

Brass Chandelier Makeover

Brass Chandelier Makeover


            Last summer we bought our first home together. It was built in 1981 and extremely outdated. We looked past the gross carpet and horrible design choices of the previous owner and were so excited about all of the wonderful potential we knew it had. Turns out, tapping in to all of that potential also puts a little strain on your bank account. I have had to get pretty thrifty when it comes to decor to help save as much as possible.


            I found this old ugly chandelier in my dad’s garage one day and asked him if he’d mind letting me have it. I headed to Lowes and grabbed a can of Rust-Oleum metallic spray paint in Oil Rubbed Bronze. Once I got home I hung the chandelier from a tree branch outside, removed socket sleeves, then covered sockets with painters' tape.







               Once I had it taped I gave the brass a good scrubbing. (You want to make sure you get all of the built up dirt and dust off so the paint will adhere properly.) Now I was ready for the fun part! Starting with can about 8 inches from the surface I lightly sprayed chandelier using controlled pressure on handle, being careful not to spray one area for too long. Allow paint to fully dry for about an hour between coats. After final coat had dried, I slipped on the socket covers and replaced bulbs. Can you say EASY? The best part is the whole project cost me less than $10!!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment